Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Diagnosis Is......

Today, I saw my sports physician to see what the deal was with the knee pain.  She was the most adorable, cool, and understanding doctor I have ever been too.  Her husband is a runner and she totally understands that I am going nuts not being able to train.  Sometimes It is frustrating seeing a Dr. for a running injury because they don't understand that I have knee pain from running 70 miles a week, not from being an overweight 70 year old.  This lady totally got it.  I wanted to kiss her when my x-rays showed I did not do any serious damage.

And the diagnosis is.....................


PatelloFemoral Syndrome

Copied from Runnersworld.com....

....patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), or simply "runner's knee," is the most common overuse injury among runners. It occurs when a mistracking kneecap (patella) irritates the femoral groove in which it rests on the thighbone (femur).

I am pretty sure it happened the day I was sprinting up and down hills in anger at 7:25 pace just a week and a half after the marathon.  I am a dummy.


I am just thrilled that it is nothing super serious, my Dr. reassured me that I should do rehab for about 3 weeks to strengthen my muscles and I should be good.

The only hard decision to make is whether or not I should change the marathon I picked (Marine Corps, Oct. 30th) for a later race.  My training calendar says I should have started this week....It's a hard decision to make because I LOVE MARINE CORPS MARATHON and two of my best running buddies (Kate and Leslie) are running.

Any suggestions on a later fall marathon?  I was considering Philly.  It needs to be a fast course!!!

Although I have been off this week, I have been SO BUSY putting Bruno through my own doggie training camp.  I am determined to have him fully trained and ready to be a well behaved pup for when we go to Mexico July 17th and the best sister-in-law Maura Rushlander cares for him.  He slept for 7.5 hours STRAIGHT in his crate last night without a whimper!!!  He had no 'accidents' today and pooped outside twice and peed outside four times.  I am so proud. 

Penny and Bruno love to chase each other and pretend to bite.  Sometimes, I put them in 'time-out' when they get a little too rough.  I got very concerned when they both disappeared under our couch together.  It was so hilarious when I saw them just chilling together with their tongues hanging out.  Look at these knuckleheads!


Making Mischief



I am all for any late fall marathon suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad that it isn't something more serious...it sounds like some rest and muscle building will fix it in no time. I've heard the Wineglass and Steamtown marathons are supposed to be fast fall ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and in Duck, we stayed at Sea Tern rd., it was 2 miles north of the water tower in duck. We were in a cool round house on the ocean. Good times!

    ReplyDelete