Thursday, June 9, 2011

End of Pre-K

Being the last week of school and all, a lot has happened the past few days.....

First thing first: running.
Monday I ran an easy 5
Tuesday I lifted (skipped PM run - see why next)
Wednesday 4.5 mile run that was supposed to be 5 miles

I am  taking the next four days completly off from runing.  I can do yoga, lift, and possibly bike but I need to recover.  Two Thursdays ago, I ran way too fast down a hill and my knee/IT band became irritated.  Now after a couple miles in a run, I feel a tightness on the outside of my right knee.  I am pretty certain it is part of the IT band problem (correct me if you think I'm wrong!)  I am pretty bummed, but I feel like I have 2 options.
1) Continue to run the next week or so, on runs that really aren't important, while making my knee worse so that when marathon training starts June 27th I'm already done for 
OR
2) Rest like crazy and nip the start of an injury in the bud so I am ready to dominate marathon training.

Injuries are annoying, but I have to choose #2.

Now, onto more life changing events.

Yesterday was my last day of Pre-K and our graduation ceremony.  It was a crazy day.  The kids were nuts, of course, an we spent the entire afternoon cleaning and putting away materials.  We hosted a HUGE picnic outdoors to celebrate (about 150 people!) and we had the children sing songs and gave them awards.  My favorite part was giving the kids awards based on something special about them, for example, one child got the mathematically gifted award because he is in preschool and knows 4x4, 10x10, etc.  They were very proud.

I was ready to be done and be a nanny for the summer, but it was sad to see the kids and many of their parents go.  It was so nice all the parents who were so supportive of me and told me how great of a teacher I was - it felt awesome!

It was also sad because I made the decision (for a variety of reasons, mainly the pain in the butt commute) to not return for another school year.  I LOVE teaching Pre-K, but after a year and a half of driving about an hour every morning to work, I am ready for a change.

So, onto a job search.  The public school district jobs are pretty far and few in Western PA right now.  I am thinking about a variety of jobs that would utilize my elementary/early childhood teaching certificate.  I have a nice nanny position lined up for this summer, so in September, I need to have something else lined up.  

If anyone wants to pay me to run/lift weights/play with puppies/cook in my crockpot/blog/hang out with elementary students/make pretty bulletin boards I am ready to interview!

Hire me!  Note Penny trying to eat my underwear on my bed.  Bad Corg!
Heading into work in a bit to clean my classroom and leave Arnold, PA forever.  Tomorrow, I have off!

2 comments:

  1. You are so very smart to just rest rest rest your outside knee/IT band area! I know it probably is a terrible feeling to be skipping running, it will be SO good for you in the long run good call!

    Congrats on a huge life decision of choosing to find a new job. I'm sure that was a hard decision to make. But if I had to drive 1 hour to and from work, I would have to move on as well....

    Best of luck on the job search, anyone would be crazy not to hire you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna be paid for that too. paid to run and hang with puppies. yes!

    love your interview suit, love your golf suit from the previous post. Good luck with the job search!

    ReplyDelete