Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tapering

How I have been rehabing my bum hamstring:

1) Hamstring massages from Jordan.
2) Two days of no running (Sunday and Monday).
3) Icing with frozen peas.
4) Cuddling with my favorite Corgi


5) Doing abs and Yoga.

Down Dog with Two Corgis - while Jordan ate Fritos....


 The hamstring pain is not too bad.  Really, it just felt very tight the first quarter mile of the runs I did.  I lifted and did 5 miles Tuesday (7:56 pace) and 5 miles Wednesday (Pace unknown, forgot watch).  Both times, it felt BETTER after running.  I felt it more when I lifted my knee up to extend my leg.

Today, I did a workout I always do before I run a marathon - there is really no reason why I do this workout, but I did it before my first race and I thought I would do it before the second marathon...now it is a tradition.  It is 6x800 meters, but not on the track, at North Park where there are rolling hills.  I do 2:20 for rest - again, for no reason.  Anyways, I felt very good and averaged 3:09 pace for these.  3:08, 3:09, 3:16, 3:10, 3:07, 3:04.  Before my 3:13 marathon, I averaged 3:22 pace.  I am trying to tell myself that is 800s workout means I will crush my old PR...haha.  After I finished my workout, my hamstring was pain free and still is two hours later.  Maybe I ran it out of me!!!

I am getting so pumped for the Pittsburgh Marathon in 10 days!  I have been stalking the weather religiously as always.  Right now, the forecast is a low of 46, high of 58, and "Plenty of Sun".  I would be happy with this, I just hope it doesn't get any warmer, or monsoon like last year.

This is what tapering looks like:
I am a believer in carbo loading.



Good running quote from an advertisement in a magazine...

IF YOU RAN WITHOUT SACRIFICE, CONGRATULATIONS. YOU JUST JOGGED. Running hurts. It always has. Woolly mammoths didn’t just roll over onto a plate and serve themselves up to prehistoric man with fries and a shake. They had to be caught - and running down woolly mammoths was a bitch. Guess what? Running is still a bitch. But one with a purpose. It teaches us that good things do not come easy. It teaches us that hard work will be rewarded and laziness will be punished. Don’t expect to learn those life lessons from running’s shiftless stepchild; jogging. Next time you suffer on the roads or trails, suffer proudly. It means you run like an animal.

Send me some good running quotes!!!

1 comment:

  1. my quote: "Caitlin is going to smash her PR". guarantee it. I was hyperaware of injuries while tapering too -- I think your hamstring will be solid.

    ReplyDelete