Friday, May 13, 2011

Taper Madness/ Good Luck!

This article perfectly describes the mental illness I am suffering from this week, Taper Madness.

Taper Madness

My Symptons:
1) Germ phobia - I ran to the bathroom to wash my hands when one of my students sneezed and snot went flying into his cubby.

2) Weather obsession - I check the weather forecast on my Iphone every 2 hours and have been doing this since the 15 day extended forecast became available.  I also check a few different sources, and pick the most favorable weather forecast at the moment and immediately tell my husband.  I make phone calls like "It will be 61 and just a 60 % chance" before I even say hello, like he is supposed to know what that means.  I have considered text messaging my meteorology major friend Chad for his prediction, but have refrained.  Barely.

3) Detail obsession.  Do I really need to write down every parking garage location in the city?  Yes.  Do I need Jordan to put down in writing for me EXACTLY what mile locations on the course he will be standing?  HECK YES.  Do I need to pick my flavor of GU ahead of time?  Yes, it's laying on my dresser.  Has been all week.  I have a morning routine scheduled down to the minute.  Completely neccesary.

4) Losing my mind.  One minute I am thinking back on how awesome my long runs were this season and smiling confidently that I will have a kick butt race.  The next minute, I see myself getting picked up my the sweeper shuttle because my hip injury flared back 200x worse than it has ever been.  The extra energey is slowing driving me insane, too.  During Show and Tell today, I grabbed my 4-year-old student's jump rope and demonstrated to the class how long and how fast I can jump rope, and even do a cross over.  I. AM. WIERD.

5) Race Gear has been on display in my bedroom for the past two weeks.  It cannot be folded or put away.  I try it on every few days and simulate running in place to see how I feel.

6) I have a slightly sore throat.  End of the world.  Have been chugging vitamin water, orange juice, and downing Zince throat lozengers.  I also think I keep imaging my hip pain coming back.


This is it!  Only two days away from the big day we have trained for the in snow, wind, and rain since December.  The reason why I have gotten out of my warm bed before the sun was up to put on my headlamp and vest.  The reason why I went to bed early, ate properly, and strength trained.  The reason why my weekends were not spent out in bars and clubs but around North Park lake for 22 mile runs at 7am on a Saturday.  I enjoyed training this season so much, especially training with all my friends and running buddies, many who I CAN'T WAIT to race with on Sunday.  We worked so hard for this day and I am excited to run Pittsburgh!!!



P.S. Current weather forecast is 61 degrees and 60% chance of rain

No comments:

Post a Comment