Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pittsburgh Marathon

I really wanted to write a post about the race Sunday, but was awaiting some pictures from the race. 

Stats for this race: 3:18:23 (7:33 pace), 24th woman, 7th in age group 20-24.
My marathon PR: 3:13:42 (Marine Corps 2010)
My Pittsburgh time from last year: 3:33:06

   
4:30 AM READY!
I have mixed feelings about this race.  Obviously, I did not meet my goal of breaking 3:10 in the marathon (yet).  I know for a fact my fitness level for this season was the best it has been.  However, I did not beat my best time in this race.  I am not quite sure why,  but it seems like I don't do as well at the Pittsburgh course as some others do.  Maybe I am not a great runner on hills, or maybe I struggle in the rain.  It is frustrating not reaching your goal, but there are some other positive aspects to the race.
ME
Getting to the race Sunday morning was very simple.  We left much earlier than needed (4:55 am).  My brother Corey, Jordan and I parked in a garage downtown and were at the start line around 5:30.  I was kinda mad I was so worried about getting there in time when it was so ridiculous how unnecessarily early we were there.  Corey and Jordan decided to eat breakfast at McDonalds while I sat inside with them  nervously thinking about the course I had a hard time with last year.
Mistake Number 1: Getting in line for the porta potty one last time.  I got in line at 6:20.  Was in line till about 6:50.  I had a seeded number, which meant I should be near the top of Corral A, but I literally could not wedge my body very far up.  I was trapped by people who were definitely not taking the race super seriously....I was a little annoyed because when the gun went off, I was stuck behind for a bit.  But honestly, I don't think it matters at all because it is a MARATHON - 26 more miles to catch up.  It would have been a bigger problem during a 5k.

After the first mile was a little slower (7:29) I settled in close to goal pace on the flat.  I was happy with this, because I like to run a little slower in the beginning.  It was all going according to plan.  One things that I wasn't thrilled with is that I noticed there were hills everywhere in the race.  I later noticed I wasn't able to hit the 7:10 pace while feeling comfortable, which was a concern.

Mile 2: 7:09
Mile 3: 7:16 Saw Jordan and Corey
Mile 4: 7:14
Mile 5: 7:16 Saw my Father in Law
Mile 6: 7:20

Mile 7: 7:21
Mile 8: 7:20
Mile 9: 7:23
Mile 10: 7:23

Mile 11 started the hill up Oakland, and at this point the half-marathoners were on their way back to the finish.  It was kind of depressing knowing you had a huge hill that would slow down your pace even more, the majority of the people you were running around were on their way back to the finish, and there were still 15 miles left of the race.  At this point, my leg was starting to hurt as well.  Needless to say, miles 11-17 were pretty rough for me.  I started to feel really sorry for myself around mile 13 and when I saw Corey and Jordan at 14 I told them my leg really hurt but wanted to keep going....  two miles later I snapped out of my cloud of darkness when the best cheerleaders ever went crazy when I ran by.  I really am appreciate of the ladies of Homewood who came out to cheer for us that day, their enthusiuam made the race and running fun again when I was really not having so much fun!

Mile 11: 7:34
Mile 12: 8:15
Mile 13: 7:38
Mile 14: 7:48 Saw Corey and Jordan, told them I was hating my life
Mile 15: 8:02
Mile 16: 8:02
Mile 17: 7:45
Mile 18: 7:47 Saw Corey and Jordan, told them I was going to stop being a wimp

Miraculously, my leg started to feel better and I started to enjoy the atmosphere around me again.  It also helped that I was not being passed, and although I sadly realized I would not get my best time, a lot of the people around me were struggling as well - misery loves company.  I relaxed a little and enjoyed the scenery around me, counting down the miles to the finish. I was thrilled to run up to Bloomfield, such a fun place to run through!  I randomly saw an old friend from highschool (SUE!) cheering for me like crazy and that made me feel that much better.  I just kept telling myself to hold on, the downhills to the finish would start soon!

Mile 19: 7:31
Mile 20: 7:32
Mile 21: 7:38


The downhill felt spectacular and although I was very tired, I was all smiles because I realized it would be done soon and I pushed through those tough middle miles.

Mile 22: 7:11 (YES, DOWNHILL!!!)
Mile 23: 7:38
Mile 24: 7:20
Mile 25: 7:51
I thought the finish was really neat.  We made a turn and ran up the 6th street bridge, and there was a big screen TV projecting us running right on the side of the bridge.  At this point, only half a mile left and my whole body was hurting, but somehow I was able to smile a lot.  The guy running in next to me was very upbeat and yelling how excited he was to do this, and I was enjoying myself as well. 
Mile 26: 7:12
.2: @ 7:07

The last straightaway to finish by the stadiums is VERY long.  I was lucky to have my friend Jo, who ran the half, help me run to the end.  I know I would be able to finish, but she really helped me to increase my pace till the end.  I was really out of it and asking her where the finish was because I was very confused!



Coming off the bridge before coming in with Jo

Seriously, why am I smiling?  My body was miserable.

Click this to watch me cross the finish around 3:18:20 and hear the announcer comment on my smiling problem

Finishing the race, I was so incredibly tired.  I relized I was swerving in and out to get my medal and I had blood all around the heels of my feet.  I w anted to cry because all I wanted to do was lay down, I couldn't find Jordan or my brother and I didn't have the energy to do anything about it.  I remembered thinking walking after the race was worse than the actual race - crazy talk. I wrapped myself up in my foil blanket and layed down agains the wall of Heinz Field.  A little while later, Jordan and Corey found me and I started the NEVER ENDING walk from Heinze Field to where he parked at his Dad's house on Arch Street.

I am proud of myself for running another solid marathon and finishing 15 minutes better than last year, and for my highest overall finish, but am still a little bummed I didn't get my goal time, or even run a PR. I am not sure exactly why I have a hard time with this race, maybe I struggle on the hills, or maybe I just struggle with the rain - I wish I knew or someone would tell me this answer!

Overall, I really enjoyed this race because so many of my friends were participating and EVERYONE did well.  I mean, EVERYONE!  It was so nice to see so many friends out on the course as well, a lot of running friends from highschool and tons of Pharaoh Hounds were spectating.  As always, my family memebers were out to cheer me on, too.  Although I did not have EXACTLY the race I wanted, being able to spend time with friends at the Expo, racing with my friends, and being cheered on by my city made it a great experience.  Will I run the full marathon here again?  I'm not sure, but I know I will at least do the half or a relay.  Congrats on everyone who race, and thanks to all the volunteers and supporters.  I'm ready to starting training again:).

Favorite Expo Pictures:


My favorite Volunteer Adam - not much of a height difference..

One of my favorite running buddies! KATE! Running Marine Corps with her this year!

Just liked it

I enjoyed this t-shirt

And this one even more.  So true.

See name below

Last year I was Caitlin Palko

3 comments:

  1. Great job. So sad we weren't able to be there to cheer you on during your suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you are amazing, NICE WORK, you are so fast!

    The fact that this was your highest overall finish, in a huge marathon, shows how tough the course and the conditions were. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful recap! you are such a cute girl and beautiful runner :)

    First of all, congrats on HUGELY beating the old-you on this course. that's a huge improvement!

    Second, I'm with you on not understanding what makes for a great or not-as-great run. Some days you just feel ON, you know? And some, you're like "ahh, this 8:00 minute pace is making me die". I don't get it.

    What was up with your feet!? why were they bleeding? yikes. ow.

    ReplyDelete