Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend Part One

Friday, Jordan did something that made me very, very, happy.

He did not buy me jewelry or take me out to a fancy restaurant.
He did not buy me a corgi puppy.
He did not clean the bathrooms.

HE RAN NORTH PARK LAKE WITH ME!!!! (5 MILES)

At the sketchy water park in Mexico for our honeymoon. 
He looks like a runner, but don't let that fool you.  In high school, he ran a fast 100 and 200.  He plays deck hockey every week and golfs whenever he can.  If someone is playing basketball, he is in.  Same with flag football, racquetball, etc.  But he cannot understand why I love running.

I tricked him with promising I would hit golf balls at the driving range if he would run the 5 mile lake loop.  I even told him he could listen to my Ipod.

Our goal was to keep under 9 minute mile pace.  He previously did this loop about 6 years ago at 9:08 pace.  He only complained when he kept swallowing bugs behind the lake.  He looked focused the whole time and raved about my Ipod mix, especially the Miley Cyrus songs thrown in between the 50 Cent and G-Unit tracks.  He even ran the last mile faster than the rest, an 8:25 to bring us to a respectable 8:51 pace for the entire lake.  Can many people really just go out and run 5 miles for the heck of it?  No.  I am impressed.
A little tired

Excuse the sweat blob

So my plan is to try and golf a little bit more this summer so maybe he will run a little bit more with me.  Maybe someday he will even try a half marathon.  Who knows??

Saturday morning I went on another bike ride with my dad.  I beat my mile pace by 5 seconds compared to last week!  It is a hard workout when you go up those hills.  I am such an amateur biker, it is just pathetic when the regulars zip past me.  My legs were tired the rest of the day from the effort. 

When we finished, we checked out the LA Fitness booth advertising for reduced membership rates for the new gym set to open in August.  I LOVE Club Julian, but this place looks even better!  It is enormous and has a lot of classes and even a spinning studio.  I really like how it has lanes for lap swimming, I stink at swimming and would like to practice getting better at it.  They have a smoothie bar and even a child care (NO I'M NOT PREGNANT) for mommies to drop their kids off at so they can get a workout in.  I convinced Jordan to join because they have racquetball courts and he loves to play.  I am very excited!

The rest of the day was spent lifting, grocery shopping, doing laundry, and getting ready for a cookout with Caitlin and Peter later that night.  It was great eating outside and catching up with them.  Sadly, I did not take any pictures to document. :(  It felt great to have my best friend around, and we are planning a trip to visit them in DC this summer so the boys can golf together!

Looking forward to a fun day today!

1 comment: