Sunday, March 27, 2011

Holy Hills

In preperation for the Pittsburgh marathon, I have been doing hill work on most Thursdays (when I don't have another workout scheduled.)

Thursday after work I worked out in the AM then ran 9 miles.  I ran 5 hill repeats up Bernice Street in the North Hills.  It hurt so bad.  I have been doing hills regularly, but my legs have never felt as heavy.   The hill was half a mile long, and it took me between 4:43 - 5:03 minutes to make it up, averaging a speedy 9:29 - 10:03 pace.  It was not a confidence boosting workout and I kinda hated every minute of it.

Friday morning my legs were shot as I ran an easy 5 around my neighborhood in the dark at 9:24 pace.  Yuck.

Friday night I went to the Cheesecake Factory with Jordan's family.  I had yummy fish tacos and lots of fun.  It was a great start to the weekend.
Fish Taco, YUM

Saturday I decided my legs were in no condition to tackle my long run/workout so I went out to the park with my Dad and ran 8 minutes at 8:17 pace.  I actually felt decent, and took it as a sign that I would be ready Sunday to run harder.  The Just a Short Run race was being run and I had a couple of friends competing.  Holly and Katie ran and they both did awesome!  I wish I was running with them, but I knew that would be too much racing with the Clarion Half coming up.

Saturday was a great day - I landed my summer job!  School gets out June 9th and I probably don't go back till around Labor Day.  I definitely wanted to work, since I can only run for so many hours of the day.  I will be a nanny for 9-year old twins four days a week.  I have Tuesdays off if you want to come hang out with me!

I cleaned the house with a vengence and was full of energy.  I made hot sausage, chicken sausage, and peppers for dinner and I made sure to eat pasta.  We went to my favorite dessert place/date night destination.  YUM frozen yogurt in Wexford, right by the Village at Pine.  I am obsessed with the nonfat yogurt and bazillion toppings.  It was so crowded we had to eat in the car!  And it was 15 degrees.  I think the business is doing well.

I was so pumped when my running buddy Kate texted me to meet up early Sunday morning.  The workout was wierd, long, and hard so I was so grateful to run with her and be distracted by us talking.  I got out to the lake at 7:40, which I was very proud of.  I warmed up for about 1.18 miles (very random) and didn't stretch since I was meeting Kate at 8:15.  I ran my first 10 minute tempo interval at 6:42 pace, not too bad.  Three minutes rest, and I ran the next 10 minutes at 6:42 pace again.  It was not easy, I was breathing very hard and my legs were burning!  I wondered how I would possibly run 10 miles, then run the same pace for 15 minutes.  Ugh.  I was so excited to run the next ten miles with Kate and catch up with her.  She is running the race next weekend, too!  We ran somewhere about an average of 8:15 pace.  I was feeling very heavy legged when she left me and started my 15 minutes at tempo pace.  I ended up doing it at 6:47 pace.  Off the 6:44, but I will definitly take it.  Ouch.  Cooled down and had 18 miles done for the day by 10:15.

Dinner at Mom's tonight!  Yay for no cooking/dish washing.  Great Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. You ran Bernice five times? You are nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bah, hills are meant to be slow. I never time myself as I trudge up hills, I just take it slow and zone out.

    I can't tell you how many times people have said something stupid to me if I'm eating fro-yo and it's 50 degrees out. "it's so cold girl, how are you eating that!?" to which I reply "SHUT-UP, I'M HUNGRY AND COLD".

    ReplyDelete