Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sick No More - Plan of Attack

I am so over getting sick every 5 weeks or so.

I did some soul searching today, trying to think of reasons as to why I get a cold more often than most people.  My findings:
1) I teach preschool.
2) I push myself hard running/lifting at least once a day.

My scientific conclusion is that I must NOT be taking the proper steps to take care of myself after exercising.  This causes my immune system to be lowered temporarily.  Throw me into a Pre-K classroom during cold season and I am ready to get sick. 

Browsing the internet, I made a game plan and a couple stops to help get myself healthy and staying that way.

1) I stopped at GNC and bought Glutamine and Zinc. Apparently, a lot of athletes take Glutamine to help them recover after a workout.  I think I need help with that.  Zinc I have taken before in college after hard workouts during the winter.  It helps your immune system, and I got it in a pill form to help get rid of my illness.
GNC Stop
Next, I stopped at Giant Eagle to get some Vitamin Water, cold medicine, and broccoli cheddar soup.  I am convinced that Vitamin water helps you kick a cold fast, or even prevent one when you start to feel under the weather.  I don't love buying them because they are not cheap, but I am starting to think they are worth it.  They even sell them in bulk at Sam's Club.

Took a little nap after taking my medicine and I feel pretty good right now.  I am sad that I have missed a few days of training, but I am trying to be positive and focus on getting better and staying better.  I am signed up for a race this Saturday, and my goal is to feel recovered enough to get a few runs in before Saturday and feel up to racing the 10miler as a good tempo run for my training.

Some other things I should probably do to avoid getting sick again:
Eat after running a hard workout.  I don't always want to eat, especially because I eat a protein bar before working out.  I am just not hungry.  I am probably going to start bringing chocolate milk for when I am done. 
Sleeping more - at least 7 hours a night!
Eat enough to stay fueled.
Any other ideas?  I need some convenient after-run snack ideas that do not involve bars or gels....

Mandatory cute corgi picture:
Baby Penny


PS: Check out the awesome book I am reading.  I am so glad to have a great book to read while I am sick!  Jodi Picoult is the best and her main character has Asperger's.  Very interetesting.
House Rules: A Novel
Read this book!   

1 comment:

  1. Don't use hand sanitizers. Saw a report on TV last week that said they are increasing illness instead of stopping it. Soap and water is best.

    ReplyDelete