Tuesday, March 15, 2011

That Hurt. Two months until the Marathon.

Running sometimes has to hurt.  Today was one of those days.
face of pain.

 I was a little unsure about today's workout, and I guess it was not so unreasonable that I was.  I had to do 12 miles total, with a 15-20 minute run at tempo (6:44-6:51, but hoping 6:44) 3 minutes easy, 15-20 minutes at tempo again, 3 minutes easy, 10 minutes at tempo.

I knew it would be difficult when I was warming up and my legs felt heavy and sore, probably from the ten-mile race Saturday.  The weather was not motivating, either.  It was 40 degrees, rainy, and overcast.  This is my LEAST favorite type of weather to run in.  I love running when it is snowing.  Snow does not get you soaking wet in minutes, and it is really pretty and fun to look at.  There is nothing good about running in the rain.  40 degrees is not cold, but when it is rainy and windy it is worse than a snowy day.

During the first set, I felt how hard this was going to be.  One mile in, I was very close to giving up on the workout and doing it some other time.  I am always tempted to do this when a run is not going my way.  I will happily run any workout, but when I have difficulty running my ideal splits, I get frustrated and think it's not going to happen.  It was a mental workout today in keeping myself from realizing how long the intervals were, and keeping myself encouraged.  Everytime I wanted to quit I tried replacing my negative thoughts by concentrating on some of my quotes, appropraite for how crappy I was feeling.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

It hurts up to a point, then it doesn't get any worse. 

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.

As in the race on Saturday, I actually felt a little bit better after the first two miles.  That was a nice relief, but it was still tough!  I was wiped out by the end of the last shorter repeat, and enjoyed my long cooldown around the lake.

1st segment: 15 minutes at 6:51 pace 2.19 miles
2nd segment: 15 minutes at 6:47 pace 2.22 miles
3rd segment: 10 minutes at 6:51 pace 1.47 miles

I have a feeling I will sleep good tonight and 5:20 will come far too quickly.

Anyone doing a long run Saturday?  I am and I would love some company!!! 

Tomorrow is over the hump day :) .

1 comment: