Monday, March 14, 2011

More Sore Two Days After

I think I made an important discovery.  It seems to me that I am not as sore the day after a race then I am two days after the race.

Sunday, I waited till later in the day to do my run from home, to help give me a little more recovery time.  Penny woke me up at 6:30 that morning so I didn't get to sleep in but wasn't really tired at all.  (I felt it today).  By the time it came for me to get my run in, it felt GREAT.  I was working around the house, so it was a welcome relief.  I was thrilled I was able to keep an 8:11 pace through the hilly neighborhoods, sad as it is, I have struggled to get under 9 minute pace some days around here.  Eeek.  My calves were a little sore, but I felt like I had a lot of energy.  I did an ab workout and some extra stretching after.

This morning, getting out of bed was ROUGH.  I am blaming it on the time change and my Iphone.  I set my alarm to go off at 5:40 so I could get to the gym and lift before school.  My Iphone was wacked up and the alarm rang out at 4:40.  I had a tough time going back to sleep for an hour, and when I did, my alarm woke me up yet again and I was out of it.  Needless to say, the lifting was skipped and pushed back to the afternoon.

At school, we learned about Leprechaun and I dyed the water in the water table green when the kids were at snack.  They are convinced that a Leprechaun went swimming in our water table, and it was so fun to talk about it all day.  Tomrorow, he will be writing the kids a note and leaving them a St. Patrick's Day beach ball.  We are also making play-do from mashed potatoes!

After school, I parked at the highschool for an 8 miler.  I was determined to stay under 8:27 pace for this easy run; two months till the Pittsburgh marathon and I thought I should be pushing myself a bit more.  Last spring, I felt like I had a really great period of training from January - mid March, then I fizzled.  Not happening again!  I was able to run about 8:20 pace for the run, but boy did my muscles burn.  On the upside, it felt good to be out since the sun was shining and it was a tropical 42 degrees.  I lifted at home while Penny kept dropping toys on me.  I had to be careful not to swing my 15lb dumbbell in her face. 

Tonight we had leftovers of the best, easiest dinner.  The recipe is not that complicated.

Chicken BBQ

4 chicken breasts
bottle of BBQ sauce
half a chopped red onion
Cook for 8 hours on low in a crockpot

That is it.  I am quite the fan.  Tonight, I put it over top of a baked potato and Jordan just ate it plain.  Last night we made sandwiches, but I think I prefer the potato method. 

A baby picture of Penny, since the day after my birthday (March 21st) is the anniversary of when we aquired her.

Baby Penny - Note one floppy ear
Tomorrow's workout: 12 miles total 20 minutes at tempo, 3 minutes easy, 20 minutes at tempo, 3 easy, 10 minutes at tempo...a little scared of this one.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/domos.html

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12580677

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try the recipe too. Penny looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete