Monday, March 7, 2011

Fun But Germy Weekend

Friday night, I set my alarm fully planning on waking up and running an 18 mile workout with my running buddy Kate.  What I didn't plan on was falling asleep sitting upright at 8:15 that night and waking up sweating and chilled.  I thought it was too good to be true that I haven't yet caught the bug sweeping through my classroom and I was right.  Saturday morning I did not feel much better.  I met Kate at North Park and was disappointed to see I was very lightheaded and weak running, not to mention it kinda hurt to breathe.  I made the decision to only run 7.5 with her, and to try my long run Sunday if I felt any better.  It was disappointing NOT to do a long run with her because she is only home so often from  school and the time flies by when I am running with her!

The rest of the day I felt miserable.  I was so tired and had a hard time getting enough energy to do things around the house. 


Penny laying in bed with me

I picked myself out of the bed and Jordan and I picked up my two brothers to go down to the waterfront.  We ate at Uno's and I had a very good multigrain pizza with hummus, spinach, feta, and vegetables.  I was impressed this was on the menu!  The boys had the monsterously thick peperoni deep dish pizza.  I had a bite of Jordan's and it was so good but very filling.  We went over to Dave and Buster's and played some games.  I am a fan of the ski ball :).
Brothers eating a 6 inch tall pizza
Jordan and I
By the end of the night, I was pretty tired.  I felt okay out, but again, felt tired all night.  Sunday morning I made the decision to try and run, but I ruled out the 18miler.  I guess it's kind of ridiculous anyways, since I ran a 20 mile race last weekend.  I ended up running an 8 miler with my Dad and Penny.  I was glad I did since I feel miserable when I don't run, and didn't want to be cranky all day.

That night, I cooked Chicken Parmesan for my family.  I am quite proud of how it turned out; pounding the chicken before cooking it really made it better.  We had pasta, caesar salad, bread, and cheesecake with berries for dessert.  The coffee was good, too: chocolate cinnamon swirl. I wish I had ran 18 miles that morning, I would be able to fit more food in my belly.
Family Photo
Chicken Parm, Pasta, Caesar Salad





Cheesecake and Berries
Very tired after the festivities

Today, I made the sad deicison to take a day off from running.  Teaching at school today, I felt pretty lightheaded whenever I was standing and teaching, and felt letargic and run down in general.  I hate not meeting my mileage goal for the week, but I guess my training has been going well and I obviously am not kicking this cold while I continue to run.  I'm hoping tomorrow I wake up feeling great and I can run the rest of the week as follows:

Tuesday: Am lifting, PM 8 with Kate
Wed: 12 mile w/o
Thursday: AM Lift, 10 miles
Friday: Easy 6
Saturday: 10 mile March Mad Dash, 15 miles total
Sunday: 10 miles

56 miles total, which is actually what I should be running this week (80% of peak mileage)

Any advice on staying healthy while being able to hug my 18 little students?  I am thinking about taking Zinc or Airborne.

3 comments:

  1. Hand sanatizer and vitamins like Zinc and Airborne! You probably need extra since you're working out so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sorry you caught the bug. Dirty kids....just kidding. I think you can ride on your awesome 20 mile race for a while though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have rested and not had us over for dinner.

    ReplyDelete