Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy President's Day

Corgi in the snow!
I had no idea we were supposed to get a snow storm today. Usually I stalk the weather on my Iphone constantly, but somehow I did not notice the Winter Storm Warning today. Needless to say, I was not able to do my mile repeats on the track this afternoon :(.

I was a little bummed we had school today, but it was a nice, relaxing day. I started the day at Club Julian to lift and it was a great workout. What is equally impressive is how quickly I can lift, shower, put on makeup, fix my hair, and get dressed in the morning. If I get there by 6:30, I can do my lifting routine, take a very short shower, make my hair look presentable, change, and leave by 7:25. Then, of course, it's off for the usual bf at Panera.

Our attendance was much lower at school , since many of the kiddos have parents or older siblings off work and school. We talked about presidents and began working on our Honest Abe hats. The funniest thing was explaining to them that the first presidents actually wore white, fluffy wigs because they thought it made them look handsome. They thought that was great!

During dismissal, all the parents/grandparents/siblings informed me that it was starting to get icy out, and knowing that I have a fairly long commute (50 minutes), they told me I should leave sooner than later. I took their advice, taking my gym bag with me and knowing that the track workout was out of the questions. The roads weren't too covered during my drive home, but the roads were definitly a bit icy in spots. I was relieved to get home just fine, and layed down with Penny on the bed for a while to think what I should run instead of the mile repeats. I just may have fallen asleep for 20 minutes.

Penny advised me to go for a 5 or so mile easy run, and do my hard workout for the week in the morning on the treadmill, especially since there would be a good chance of a two hour delay - which means I don't have to leave the house until almost nine o'clock. I bundeled up, face mask and all, and stepped out into the winter wonderland. The roads were covered in at least two inches of snow, which fell in just the last hour!

The first four miles were just fine and I was really enjoying running in the snow, which was coming down in soft, thick flakes. With two miles left, the wind picked up and the snow turned into hard, round, icy balls. It hurt so bad to even keep my eyes open, so I tried to stare down at the ground completely hunched over - I looked stupid and it didn't even work. I honestly think the next time that happens I might wear ski goggles.

Here is a picture of the road after I finished running - look for my feet prints!
One of the nicest things about running in the snow is being DONE running in the snow - for example, coming inside and making french toast and drinking chocolate milk for dinner with your husband.

Any good french toast recipes? I just put together four eggs, vanilla and almond extract, cinnamon, and milk and dipped 8 pieces of bread into it. We loved our breakfast for dinner!

PS Two hour delay tomorrow! Yes!

2 comments:

  1. What exercise would Penny advise me to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She thinks playing fetch is a great way to incorporate speed work while keeping things fun.

    ReplyDelete