Sunday, February 13, 2011

End of Week 5 Training

13 weeks until the Pittsburgh Marathon!

Cute Corgi Picture of The Week:

I am very happy with how my training went this week. I did a workout every morning before I went to work. It was very chilly this week, so I was lucky enough to have a two hour delay both Wednesday and Thursday. I am glad to be a teacher and that I got to go to work an hour later than normal!

Monday: 5 miles at 8:27 pace on the treadmill. Watched an episode of Desperate Housewives. I was proud I did this in the morning because it was the morning after the Super Bowl. We didn't get to bed until after Midnight! Was glad I set out my clothes the night before. Did some abs that afternoon.

Tuesday: Lifted in the AM (at home, roads were snowy) Wanted to go to Hounds practice at CMU, but the track was covered with snow. Took a half hour nap after school (Super Bowl night caught up with me) then forced myself out of bed to run at the Brookmeade Track (a 1,000 meter loop in a residential area.) Ended up having a great workout, despite being a bit slower in the snow and cold. Ran 6x1,000 with 4 minutes of rest, totaling 10 miles. Despite running for a long time, I enjoyed it because intervals make the time go faster. My goal pace for these was 3:55, but considering it was on a slight slushy, hill route, I wasn't upset with the results: 4:05, 4:05, 4:04, 4:06, 4:08, 4:06.

Wednesday: AM treadmill run with, of course, Desperate Housewives. Normally, I would have ran outside but since we had a delay due to the -4 degree weather, I thought it was kind of dumb not to take advantage of the treadmill. Ran an easy 6 at 8:27 pace, speeding up at the end. Abs!

Thursday: AM lifting at the gym - another two hour delay :). Was again nervous for the afternoon workout at North Park. Had a longer run planned, with 5 miles at tempo pace (7:05). In college, I was great at tempo runs but the past marathon season I struggled with them for whatever reason. I was thrilled when I was able to run the 5 mile lake loop at 6:52 pace, on such a cold day. Definitely felt sore that night!!! Splits were 7:06, 6:47, 6:53, 6:47, 6:44. The whole first half I ran fast because I was afraid of failing at this workout, and once I got to the halfway point I felt like I had it in the bag.

Friday: Usually easy run on the treadmill in the morning (5 miles) followed by abs.

Saturday: Was excited to meet up with my friend Kate (college running friend) to do my 20 miler. I was thrilled to have her run the first 15 with me. It is so nice when you can talk to a friend the entire long run, especially when you haven't seen them in a month. The roads were totally snow covered most of the run, and it was definitely hard on my legs - they were pretty tired! We covered a big hill during the 20 milers and averaged 8:25 pace. Normally, I wouldn't be happy with this pace but the effort running through the snow convinced me I should be happy with this run.

Sunday: Easy 6 miler with my Dad at North Park. Felt very tired, but not as much in my legs as my body in general. Took a nap for an hour later in the day because I just couldn't stay awake any longer.

Happy that I was able to hit my weekly mileage goal of 63 this week, and also that I got in three quality workouts. I am especially happy with my tempo run, and that I was able to work with the bad weather and still do what I needed to do.

This week will be a challenge getting in a total of 70 miles, but without a very long run (20) to help chip away at the amount of mileage to run. This week's plan:
Monday: 7 miles in the AM, abs
Tuesday: 11 miles total, 7 x 1,000 meters - hoping a track might be cleared for this workout! Aiming for 3:55. AM lifting.
Wednesday: 8 miles in the AM, abs.
Thursday: AM lifting, PM 12 mile distance run
Friday: 7 miles easy, abs
Saturday: 15 miles, 4 x 12 miles at tempo pace (6:51/mile) with 2 minutes rest
Sunday: 10 miles easy

2 comments:

  1. That's such a cute picture of Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM OBSESSED WITH YOUR BLOG GORGEOUS GIRL!! Great workouts! Yay for teachers and working out before work. That is awesome that you got to do the first 15 with your friend....that makes the world of difference. You are motivating me to do more weights! I WANT YOUR DOG!! I am so excited to follow your training for your MARATHON!! WAHOOOOOO!!! THanks for the email sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete