Friday, March 16, 2012

Staying Positive - Pinterest

Staying positive is very important to running well and not losing your brains during a stressful change in your life.  Moving across the country, I have found, definitely qualifies as a big stressor in life!  Not only do we have to pack up an entire life here in Pittsburgh, but we have to start a new one in Georgia.  No family around, and no friends - yet!! 

One of the biggest aspects of leaving that is hard for me was actually leaving my job to move.  I thought I would be relieved to be done so I could focus on packing, but instead, I am strongly disliking being unecmployed and driving myself crazy wonderfing if I will ever get a job I love (or can at least tolerate!) in Georgia. 

I am hoping and praying to get an elementary school position teaching in the wonderful school district we will be living in .  It would be a dream to have a short commute to work and teach kindergarten, to a bunch of little ones that say y'all and call me ma'am.  I have sent in applications, and have been in touch with some of the people in charge of hiring.  Everything going well so far!

My last job was somewhat tough.  Our school was in an urban setting, which brings a different set of skills you need as a teacher.  It can be very stressful, especially if you are not used to it.  In addition, our school day was long with my commmute.  I left for work at 6:30 and was home at 5:00.  For a non-teacher, thats not such a bad schedule.  For a lawyer or doctor, that is fantastic!  But compare it to the teachers in my neighborhood here, they leave at 8 and get home at 4. 


My day wouldn't be so long if I didn't do much else in a work day.  However, I worked out two times most days - so that morning would start at 4:30 with a visit to the gym or treadmill run, then after work another run - so I wouldn't be home until close to 7:00.  Then it was time to take care of the dogs, walk them, cook dinner (if it was up to Jordan we would have Chipotle every night!) clean the kitchen, tidy the house, pack my lunch and gym bag for the next day, and hopefully spend about an hour of relaxing time with my husband.  I felt that I would not be very happy working at this hectic pace for very long.  Life is too short to spend two hours a day in the car!  I am hoping this move will give me an opportunity to find a job that balances better with marathon training, and just being happier in general!

Anyways, whenever I am feeling stressed out.... I like to pin things!  Yes, I am now obsessed with Pinterest!  I was complaining to Jordan that I was in a bad mood the other night, and he advised me to pin something.  It was so funny because it works!  Here are some of my favorite Positive Pins.  I love to read them before I go running.  Some of them are better suited for running, some of them, life in general!


royal Corgis running FAST!!!

Tell yourself this, even if you don't believe it!  It is all about playing mind games and tricking yourself into believing you feel good.

I don't run to look good, I run to kick your butt in a race. 


SO TRUE.  It is even better than happy hour.






Hope you like those quotes!!!  Do you do anything to cheer you up when you are stressed out?  Do you think it is stressful to move across the country and quit your job?  Any moving advice? 

1 comment:

  1. That is a tough crazy work schedule you had. No way would I wake up that early!
    Why do you do twice a days? Just a nice bookend on the work day?

    Best of luck with the big move and job hunt!

    ReplyDelete